Sunday, January 24, 2016

Harmattan Season

Each year about this time, the trade winds (the Harmattan) blow into Western Africa from the Sahara bringing a ton of fine dust.  The days are very hot, but the nights are cooler and dryer.  It makes for nice sunrises and sunsets.  We have a lot of missionaries with itchy eyes and sore throats though -- and those with asthma have a rough time -- so we are ready for a little rain.

This was transfer week.  We had 11 missionaries leaving and 8 coming.  Piece of cake, right?  Except we also moved 32 missionaries out of the Winneba Stake and into other parts of the mission.  There were a lot of people moving.

On Tuesday, we welcomed our eight new missionaries from the MTC.

These two figured out that they would be companions before I announced the assignments.  It wasn't rocket science since we only had one new sister missionary and one new sister trainer.

First crack at speaking Twi.

The casual one is Elder Adams, who had an emergency appendectomy last week.  He is staying at the mission home until he gets the stitches out.  

"...the heart and a willing mind."

Adjusting to Missionary Life

Off they go -- all smiles.

Tuesday was interesting because while we were meeting the new missionaries, all of the Winneba elders and sisters were also heading for the mission home.  We had to make room for the Accra West missionaries (their transfers are on Tuesdays) so our missionaries had to camp out for a night until our transfers on Wednesday.

The six Winneba Sisters joined Sister Udom, our new sister missionary, at the mission home.

The 25 elders stayed at the Office Couple's apartment (but since we don't have an office couple, there was plenty of room).

Even though it was a big sleepover, Elder and Sister Hanlon were able to slip in a devotional.

Wednesday morning, we had them all headed for their new areas and we prepared to receive the eleven elders who would be returning home.

Elder Harward is joining Elder Hodson as a supply elder.

Elder Reyes will be the new mission secretary.

The Fufu this time was Talapia with palm nut soup.

Elder Hannemann is the new Assistant to the President -- he gets to enjoy all this glamour.  


On time for breakfast.

Elder Etim is returning home.

Joined by some old comrades.

Safe Journey.

On Saturday, we started our missionary interviews.  I have four weeks to meet with all 200 missionaries.  While I meet with the individual missionaries, Sister Stevenson shares some stay healthy advice with the ones that are waiting.

We saw 19 missionaries on Saturday.  It was nice.

On Sunday, I drove out to Dunkwa-on-Offin to interview the eight missionaries there.  It is about a 4 hour drive each way, so it took all day.

The River Pra is way down right now.

I don't think I will ever get used to crossing this bridge -- one lane, two way traffic and missing railroad ties.

The road has been graded recently so it wasn't the normal adventure. Pretty dusty though.

There was only one water hazard. 

After I interviewed the last of the eight missionaries in Dunkwa, I stopped by one of the apartments to say goodbye.  They were enjoying chicken and rice lunch before going out again.  I joined them with the pb&j sandwich Sister Stevenson packed for me.

I didn't get home until after dark, but I got to enjoy another Harmattan sunset!


It's a tough world.

1 comment:

  1. Elder and Sister Stevenson, I'm so excited to meet you! I'll be coming to the mission soon! :)

    I saw Elder Goodsell in the pictures. Please send my greetings over to him, he knows me as TK.

    Enjoy your week!